I hope you are well today – Martin Luther King Day. I’m fortunate enough to have the day off and will hit a new hiking trail in a couple of hours. But first…
I have been dying to show you this recipe I found out on the web.
It came from No White Jacket Required. It’s so easy, so fast and so cheap the way I make it. Debtgirl style I guess! 😉
I made a few changes but the most important thing is that I shop for my ingredients at the 99 Cent store.
You can see where I changed this recipe up in bold.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 8 ounces dried linguine ( I used a bit more)
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, minced (I added a tablespoon of minced garlic and I used two shallots they are so small and this is a lot of pasta)
- 3-6.5 ounce cans clams, drained, with 1/2 cup juice reserved
- (I added a hit of white wine)
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- (I added butter)
Texas toast and wine if you like!
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Add minced shallot (and garlic) and sauté until very soft and tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add clams and continue to cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. Add reserved clam juice, lemon juice, and red pepper flakes.(Add Splash of wine) Bring to a simmer and cook for 3 minutes.
- Toss pasta with sauce, adjusting red pepper flakes to taste. (Add Butter) Divide among four plates and serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese on top.
Everything came from the 99 cent store, except I had the pasta and the parm which I had at home. My BFF brought the wine. The garlic is not shown here, but came from there as well, in a jar already minced!
Cut up and cook the shallots, I used two instead of one!
Heat up the oil and toss in the shallots and the garlic and don’t burn the garlic or its nasty!
Then add the clams and the pepper flakes. ( pepper flakes optional and it is fine.)
Three cans goes along way, but I have made this with two:
Let that cook down then add the cooked pasta and a dab of butter. Come on, no butter on this would be cRaZy!
It glosses it up and makes it so creamy. Add a little clam juice or pasta water or both if you need to. Stir it around gently and it smells so good!!
Plate it up, sprinkle with Parm! Serve with Texas Toast or garlic bread.
Fancy Schmancy and kind of an impressive dinner right?
I really like Chateau St. Michelle Riesling. It’s about $7.00 a bottle and never disappoints.
You can find ALL of the ingredients at the 99 cent store and it tastes like a million bucks! If you don’t want wine, I saw Martinelli’s there as well, you can have a pretty glass of Sparkling Apple Cider with!
I hope you like this recipe as much as I do. Enjoy!