I thought it might be interesting to share the daily thoughts that may go on in the brain of a person in BK journey.
More specifically, this bankrupt person.
Granted the thoughts are not very titillating, but they are real. I’m not sure that other people on this journey have the same thoughts, maybe they just go on about their lives and forget about it. I find that hard to do.
Here is a sampling of my random thoughts. If you are considering bankruptcy, then you may wish to think about it long and hard because it can really wreak havoc on your brain cells.
In the morning: My thoughts usually go toward the immediate financial needs of the day. What do I have to spend money on today? Do I have enough? When is my next paycheck? It kind of snowballs like that. It goes from what’s needed today, to the age old question… When is payday?
During the day: It’s usually based around not spending money, or if I am spending, how can I save as much as I can. Am I eating from home, what are my plans for food for the rest of the day, do I have enough gas? What does my kid need? I sure wish I had more money! I am underpaid!
More Random Daily Thoughts in no particular order:
· I hope nothing breaks down.
· I think this will be the last pair of hiking boots I’ll need to buy during this BK.
· I wonder how long I can make this thing (whatever it is) last.
· Wow, I have had this eyeliner since before I filed.
· I hope I don’t get sick and cannot work.
· What if I get a raise and my trustee raises the payment?
· What if I can’t make the payment?
· What if my mortgage is late?
· What if there is drama waiting for me at the end of this journey that I didn’t expect, like someone didn’t put in a claim and now I have to pay it anyway?
· I sure hope my car can last.
· I can’t wait to have a discharge party.
· I hope I have a successful discharge.
· I sure hope I have equity in the condo in 2017 and it has all been worth it.
· OMG, this is taking so long.
· Will this EV.ER end?
· Does blogging make it drag on?
· How am I ever going to save for a car for my kid to help her with that?
· How can I ever keep affording all this golf?
· This list can go on for days!
At night: This time of day can be the worse. Maybe I didn’t have the best day, maybe I stopped at the market and did not follow my list, maybe I overspent and was totally conscious when it happened. Maybe an unexpected bill was sitting in my mailbox. Maybe my illness got the best of me and I wondered/worried that I might not make it to 62 to retire. Maybe my kid told me one more thing she wants/needs and that sent me into a huge guilt trip. Maybe I look around the condo and see the things that are falling apart, carpet, furniture, other repairs and I get totally depressed. Is it worth it? Will I ever be able to afford to fix this place up?
Most of those thoughts are negative and that can’t be helped. But there are bright spots.
I remind myself that in 2.5 years I will be out of debt, I will have equity in my condo, I will be that much closer to retirement and my daughter will be off in college. Chances are all the negative random thoughts won’t ever happen. I remind myself that 99 % of the things we worry about don’t! I remind myself that I am doing it!
There is a light at the end of the tunnel and I just have to focus on it.
If you are considering bankruptcy, do not go blindly into it, think long and hard because it is a long process that takes FIVE YEARS! (three years if you are lucky). But if you have to do it, you can make it work! Just like me! Make it work people!